2021 SUBMISSION DEADLINE IS AUGUST 12
To advocate for sustainable projects and strategies in San Diego.
Identify award winning projects and teams to promote them within our community.
Call for Entries
This year, the SDGBC Awards program continues to promote the broad initiatives taking place in the sustainability community.
- Sustainable Design, Construction and Operations (Certification Systems)
(Within each category, the jury will evaluate registered (unbuilt), registered (built), and certified (built) submissions separately, as applicable within their certification system. Applicants can also submit a project that is pursuing a similar, equivalent certification system with an explanation of how the project and certification system apply to the category.)
- Sustainable New Construction Award (LEED BD+C, Bream NC, GreenGlobes, Federal Guiding Principles, CalGreen Tiers 1 & 2, Living Building Challenge/CORE/Petal, etc.)
- Sustainable Interiors/Tenant Improvement Award (LEED ID+C, GreenGlobes, CalGreen Tiers 1 & 2, etc.)
- Sustainable Operations Award (LEED O+M, Breeam In-Use, BOMA Best, etc.)
- Sustainable Residential Award (LEED for Homes, Energy Star Designed Home, WaterSense home, Build It Green, etc.)
- Sustainable Neighborhood Development / District Award (LEED-ND, LEED for Cities & Communities, EcoDistrict, Living Community Challenge, etc.)
- Sustainable Health & Wellbeing Award (WELL, Fitwel, 9 Foundations for a Healthy Building, Health-Safety Rating, Verified Healthy Building, etc.)
- Sustainable Sites Award
- Parksmart Award
- Sustainable Performance
(Within each category, the jury will evaluate design/construction phase projects and completed projects with performance documentation separately, as applicable.)
- Zero Net Energy Award
- Most efficient EUI (awarded across all building types when compared with national medians)
- Zero Net Water Award
- Zero Net Waste Award
- Low Embodied Carbon Award
- Metrics & Research Award
- Social Equity Award
- Any project in San Diego County or Tijuana, may be submitted.
- Any project outside of San Diego County that was designed or constructed by an individual or firm located in San Diego County.
- Anyone, including architects, landscape architects, engineers, contractors, clients, or owners, can submit a project.
- Projects previously awarded a similar SDGBC award are not eligible for re-entry.
- Projects can submit in multiple award categories. Separate applications shall be completed for each category.
- Entries must be completed (design or construction) since January 1, 2016.
All entries shall be submitted electronically to [email protected] in the appropriate PowerPoint template.
Each submission shall include:
- Completed Awards Project Credit Form and Project Information Sheet (included in the PowerPoint submittal template that you can download here).
- Photo Release Form is also required and can be downloaded here.
Registration opens: June 28, 2021
Submission deadline: August 12, 5:00pm (Email to [email protected])
Jury Evaluation: August 23-30, 2021
Awards Celebration at Greenbuild (Tentative: September 20, 2021)
To be determined.
View the 2019 award winners, here.
View the 2020 award winners, here.
*Please note these prices are for 2021 and subject to change in the future.
SDGBC Member: $50
SDGBC Non-Member: $100
Winning entries are public information, and summaries of winning applications will be published. Awards will be given at the sole discretion of the judges. Nominations in a category do not automatically mean that an award will be given in that category. Judging criteria is based upon meeting the intent of the submitted category, exhibiting a transformation in the built environment and exemplifying innovation, creativity and good design.
Contact [email protected].