2022 Call for Entries is closed. We'll see you at the Winter Soiree where winners will be announced. You can get your ticket here.
To advocate for sustainable projects and strategies in San Diego.
Identify award winning projects and teams to promote them within our community.
Call for Entries
This year, the SDGBC Sustainable Design Awards program will continue to promote the broad initiatives taking place in the sustainability community. Winning projects will receive their awards at our Winter Celebration in January 2023.
Sustainable Design, Construction and Operations (Certification Systems): Within each category, the jury will evaluate registered (unbuilt); registered and certified (built) submissions separately, as applicable within their certification system. Applicants can also submit a project that is pursuing a similar, equivalent certification system with an explanation of how the project and certification system apply to the category.
- Sustainable New Construction Award (LEED BD+C, BREEAM NC, GreenGlobes, Federal Guiding Principles, CalGreen Tiers 1 & 2, Living Building Challenge/CORE/Petal, etc.)
- Sustainable Interiors/Tenant Improvement Award (LEED ID+C, GreenGlobes, CalGreen Tiers 1 & 2, etc.)
- Sustainable Operations Award (LEED O+M, BREEAM In-Use, BOMA Best, etc.)
- Sustainable Residential Award (LEED for Homes, Energy Star Designed Home, WaterSense home, Build It Green, etc.)
- Sustainable Neighborhood Development / District Award (LEED-ND, LEED for Cities & Communities, EcoDistrict, Living Community Challenge, etc.)
- Sustainable Health & Wellbeing Award (WELL, Fitwel, 9 Foundations for a Healthy Building, Health-Safety Rating, Verified Healthy Building, etc.)
- Sustainable Sites Award
- Parksmart Award
Sustainable Performance: Within each category, the jury will evaluate design/construction phase projects and completed projects with performance documentation separately, as applicable.
- Zero Net Energy Award
- Most efficient EUI (awarded across all building types when compared with national medians)
- Zero Net Water Award
- Zero Net Waste Award
- Low Embodied Carbon Award
- Metrics & Research Award
For more information please see the Category Descriptions here.
- Any project in San Diego County or Tijuana, may be submitted.
- Any project outside of San Diego County that was designed or constructed by an individual or firm located in San Diego County
- Anyone including architects, landscape architects, engineers, contractors, clients, or owners, can submit a project for an award.
- Projects previously awarded a similar SDGBC award are not eligible for re-entry.
- Projects can submit in multiple award categories. Separate applications shall be completed for each category.
- Entries must be completed (design or construction) since January 1, 2019.
Each submission shall be emailed to [email protected] and must include:
- Completed Project Information Sheet, Project Narrative and Image slides (included in the PowerPoint submittal template that you can download here)
- Photo Release Form (download here) for all photos included in submittals
Registration now closed.
Submission deadline: December 13, 2022 (Email to [email protected])
Awards Given at the Winter Celebration: January 24, 2023
SDGBC Member: $50
SDGBC Non-Member: $100
Winning entries are public information, and summaries of winning applications will be published. Awards will be given at the sole discretion of the judges. Nominations in a category do not automatically mean that an award will be given in that category. Judging criteria is based upon meeting the intent of the submitted category, exhibiting a transformation in the built environment and exemplifying innovation, creativity and good design.
View the 2019 award winners, here.
View the 2020 award winners, here.
View the 2021 award winners, here.
Contact [email protected].