The Greenbuild International Conference and Expo, which was launched in 2002, is the world's largest conference and expo dedicated to green building. Greenbuild features several days of inspiring speakers, industry showcases, specialty workshops, tours of the host city's green buildings and invaluable networking opportunities. The event has been hosted in major cities across the U.S. including Los Angeles, Boston, San Francisco, Chicago, Atlanta and more. In November 2020, Greenbuild is coming to San Diego for the first time and the San Diego Green Building Council will be serving as the official host chapter!
This is an incredible opportunity for us to showcase local projects and expertise while bringing attention to issues of particular importance to our region. While Greenbuild is a meeting of national and international experts in the field during one week in November 2020, our goal is to leverage the event to engage the broader local community in discussions and activities that raise awareness around sustainability and the built environment throughout the year leading up to the event.
Please read entire overview and expanded descriptions before applying.
San Diego Green Building Council - Host Chapter Role
The Greenbuild team at Informa Exhibitions and USGBC (national) is responsible for overall conference planning and management, including running the process by which sessions are chosen, soliciting sponsors, managing registration, and conference greening.
The official duties for SDGBC as the Host Chapter include:
- Forming an Honorary Host Committee for the City of San Diego
- Forming a working Host Committee, which includes five subcommittees
- Recruiting and working with official Local Partner Organizations on conference promotion
- Producing a wide range of half and full day regional green building tours
- Identifying and coordinating a Greenbuild Legacy Project - a permanent gift of service to the city that targets low-income populations, is community supported and has an educational component
- Working with local hotels and restaurants on greening their operations and promoting their offerings
- Recruiting and coordinating student volunteers to contribute to overall sustainability goals of the event
Outside of these official capacities, hosting Greenbuild is an opportunity for us to show-off San Diego and our region as a global model of a sustainable and culturally vibrant community. We look to our members and industry leaders to help show visitors what makes San Diego a beacon of innovation and progress in the sustainability world!
Host Committee Overview
- Honorary Host Committee - the honorary host committee is to be comprised of dignitaries in our community who lend their name to our Greenbuild efforts, attend Host City events, and are on-call for specific asks.
- Host Committee - the host committee will be led by two Co-Chairs who are the primary leaders of our Greenbuild efforts. The Host Committee Chairs will help to plot our overall vision and work with subcommittees to set and ensure they are meeting their goals and timelines. This Committee will also be populated by the Chair of each subcommittee and the SDGBC Executive Director.
Subcommittees - Each subcommittee will be led by a Chair and Vice-Chair, and be made of approximately 15 additional volunteer committee members.
- Sales & Marketing
- Legacy Project
- Regional Partners
- Volunteer & Greening
Host Committee Expectations
Host committee members are expected to contribute 5-15 hours a month from February 2020 - November 2020. Committee Chairs are expected to spend up to 25 hours a month on their work. Most subcommittees will meet at least quarterly in person; however actual timelines will be determined by the Committee Chair.
Host Committee Benefits
Volunteering for the Host Committee is a unique opportunity for local building professionals to get behind-the-scenes of this international event and make it a memorable celebration! Committee work offers opportunities to grow personally and professionally; to network with the region's sustainability leaders, and to better the local green economy.
Committee Chairs/Vice Chairs will be recognized and receive complimentary conference registrations to Greenbuild 2020. Subcommittee members will have an opportunity to attend the conference at a discounted rate.
Host Committee Selection
Interested candidates must complete an online application detailing availability, interest, professional background, SDGBC experience, skills and attributes.
Subcommittee Chairs and and Vice-Chairs will be appointed by the SDGBC staff and Greenbuild Host Committee Chairs. Subcommittee members will be subsequently filled, there will be a limit to group numbers dependent on the committee. Final committee make-up is subject to SDGBC approval.
Applications are due by midnight on Thursday, January 23rd.
Successful candidates for will be contacted beginning Monday, January 27th.
CALL FOR PROPOSALS: Greenbuild is now accepting proposals for 2020 Educational Sessions
Learn more here.
*Please note that the SDGBC is not involved in the process by which sessions are chosen.